Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Click

I felt pretty comfortable with Jenn quickly enough - we had about two months worth of conversations in and after class before we started dating, so the friendly repoire was already there. In life, Jenn always had a flair for life - a certain spirit that just set me at ease to the core. It's difficult to describe, but I think it's one of those things that when the right things happen, or you meet the right people (friends or lovers), you just know that sense of peace with that person.

Philosophy aside, the moment that I first really flet "the click" was after one of our conversations after class. We had walked over to the music school, and I was talking with her about some project I was considering (for all I know, it may have been about a theatre idea, or ROTC or something)... Ultimately, it boiled down that she told me to just go ahead with what I was thinking about doing. (I later found out that she was running late for a rehearsal that day...) After I left her - her walking into the music building, and me walking towards the hill and my dorm - smiling and shaking my head and thinking "Wow."

Fast forward a couple of months from the first date, to early June (I think... maybe late May 1999). I was comfortable enough with her that near the end of one of our dates, "I love you," came out, and responded in kind... but she later told me that it wasn't until I was in Colorado that summer (at the US Air Force Academy for Combat Survival Training - for three weeks in July) that she finally had her "click" moment.

1 comment:

Rebamgirl said...

I remember the first night I met Jeff. It was during a "difficult" time in my life (that's what we'll call it for the sake of bringing up bad memories). We went out to dinner. Jennifer and I had kinda drifted during this time but she was still always there for me when I needed her.
I knew she really liked this Jeff guy. I was excited about meeting him. Jennifer only had one serious boyfriend and that was in high school so the seriousness of it is debatible. But she seemed really intrigued by Jeff and I was excited for her.
I tend to have issues with most of the guys my friends date. I'm very picky when it comes to my friends men. And Jennifer is one of those people that definitely deserved the best.
I remember liking Jeff ok the first time I met him. He was a little quiet and he probably didn't like me at first. Most people didn't because of what was going on at the time. But the important thing is that Jennifer seemed really happy.
Jennifer loved being married. I don't think she would have traded it for anything. She loved just sitting at home with Jeff doing nothing. She truly loved her life and loved Jeff. There are so many memories of Jennifer, Jeff, Allen and I hanging out, doing goofy old fart couple things.
I miss the fact that all those things are just memories now.

Amanda